The Design Technician is creative and seeks to enhance knowledge in the drafting and modeling of steel fabricated components as well as plastic thermoformed products. The Design Technician will provide valuable support to our internal / external customers through the delivery of drafted documentation and quality designs and samples in a timely and efficient manner. The Design Technician supports the Product Development initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Other duties may be assigned as needed.)
- Utilizing CREO software, evaluate & incorporate appropriate design elements to transform initial rough product sketches into 3D working models and drawings. Ensures that the final product is designed to appropriate thermoforming standards, Hampel’s production capabilities, and consistent with Hampel’s traditional market style.
- Utilizes CREO software: Prepare drawing documentation including detailed drawings, material specification, etc. for designs provided by Product Development staff.
- Utilizing Hampel’s ERP system, manages the creation of new Item Numbers, Bill of Materials, and Routings.
- Manages the Engineering Change Process, documents Change Notice request and makes the subsequent changes in various databases and communicates the changes to relevant departments.
- Creates and modifies manufacturing Work Instructions and process flow documentation at the direction of the Product Realization Technical Manager.
- Assist with researching and selecting suppliers for sourcing of pre-production and production components.
- Assist Product Development staff with day-to-day project functions, as needed, including researching product specifications, contacting vendors, and other support functions. Conducts internal patent searches and investigates pertinent industry design criteria and maintains references thereof.
- Assist Product Development / Realization staff with testing of prototypes or samples, accumulates and documents relevant test data for evaluation.
- Draw upon past experiences and knowledge of other processes; blow molding, injection molding, sheet metal forming, machining, etc. to recommend / determine the best manufacturing method.
- Interfaces (as required) with administration, sales and marketing, manufacturing, and supply chain, to obtain viewpoints and achieve overall design goals and schedules.
- Ensures that project folders and activities meet current ISO standards and requirements.
- Assists in the design, development and implementation of appropriate checking fixtures and standards for all existing and approved design projects to ensure consistent product quality.
- Employs good written and oral communication skills, across multiple functional work groups either in a team environment or independently, to increase the chance of project success.
- Self-Starter and work independently based on instructions, directions, or requests received from Supervisor(s).
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, and reviewing relevant technical publications.
- Provides feedback and suggestions to the Product Design Manager in regards to the Product Development Group’s procedures and practices.
- Provides feedback and suggestions to the Product Design Manager in regards to the ISO Procedures and how they are implemented at Hampel.
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
Experience with design / drafting techniques and software is required. Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school is highly desired. Familiarity with steel fabrication and plastic processing would be beneficial, specifically thick gauge thermoforming, but not required
Ability to read and interpret documents such as employee handbook, technical and engineering catalogs, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine correspondences and project reports. English and Spanish fluency is highly desired.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, area, circumference, volume, proportions and apply concepts of algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Basic computer skills including but not limited to, word processing and spreadsheets. Knowledge of CAD design related software and PowerPoint.